Pursuant to the provisions of section 13 and 14 of the Urban Areas and Cities Act 2011 reviewed in 2015, Marsabit County Executive Committee invites applicants for four (4) positions from competent and qualified persons to serve as members of the Marsabit Municipal Board. The members of the board shall hold office for five years on a part time basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the affairs of the Municipality;
- Develop and adopt policies, plans, strategies and programmes and set targets for delivery of services in the Municipality;
- Formulate and implement an integrated development plan for the Municipality;
- Control land use, land sub-division, land development and zoning by public and private sectors for any purpose, including industry, commerce, markets, shopping and other employment centres, residential areas, recreational areas, parks, entertainment, passenger transport, agriculture, and freight and transit stations within the framework of the spatial and master plans for the municipality as may be delegated by the County Government;
- As may be delegated by the county government, promote and undertake infrastructural development and services within the municipality;
- Develop and manage schemes, including site development in collaboration with the relevant national and county agencies;
- Maintain a comprehensive database and information system of the administration and provide public access thereto upon payment of a nominal fee to be determined by the board;
- Administer and regulate its internal affairs;
- implement applicable national and county legislation;
- Enter into such contracts, partnerships or joint ventures as it may consider necessary for the discharge of its functions under this Act or other written law with the approval of the County Executive Committee and the County Assembly Member.
- Monitor and, where appropriate, regulate municipal services where those services are provided by service providers other than the board of the municipality;
- Prepare and submit its annual budget estimates to the county executive committee for consideration and submission to the County Assembly for approval as part of the annual County Appropriation Bill;
- As may be delegated by the county government, collect rates, taxes levies, duties, fees and surcharges on fees;
- Settle and implement tariff, rates and tax and debt collection policies as delegated by the County Government of Marsabit;
- Monitor the impact and effectiveness of any services, policies, programmes or plans;
- Establish, implement and monitor performance management systems;
- Promote a safe and healthy environment;
- Facilitate and regulate public transport; and
- Perform such other functions as may be delegated to it by the County Government of Marsabit or as may be provided for by any written law.
Requirements for appointment
- Must be a Kenyan Citizen.
- Must be an ordinary resident or have a permanent dwelling in the municipality.
- Must be carrying out business in the Marsabit Municipality.
- Must have lived in the Marsabit Municipality for at least five years.
- Must possess at least a degree or post-secondary qualification relevant to municipal administration.
Applicants interested in applying for the above position should submit the following documents:
- An application letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of the National ID card
- Copies of academic and Professional certificates
- Fulfil requirements for Chapter six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation
- Clearance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority
- Clearance from Ethics & Anti-corruption Commission (EACC)
- Clearance from Credit Reference Bureau
Those whose names do not appear in the shortlist should consider their application unsuccessful.
All applications should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked Municipal Board Application to the undersigned by the close of business on or before 6th July, 2018
THE COUNTY SECRETARY AND HEAD OF PUBLIC SERVICE
P.O. BOX 384-60500