Marsabit County is located in the extreme part of northern Kenya and has a total area of 70,961.2 sq. km.
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, LIVESTOCK AND FISHERIES DEVELOPMENT.
The sector comprises of agriculture, fisheries, veterinary services, and livestock production sub sectors.
Vision: “To be the leading agent towards the achievement of food security for all, employment creation, income generation and poverty reduction in Marsabit County”.
Mission: “To improve the livelihoods of Marsabit people through by promoting competitive agriculture, sustainable crop, livestock and fisheries development, innovative research and technologies, equitable distribution and sustainable management of natural resources
1. Strengthen collaborations and linkages with public and private institutions in the management and delivery of agricultural programmes and services
2. Develop and approve instruments for operation and accountability of agriculture sector programmes and projects
3. Facilitate development, review, implementation, monitoring of policies, strategies, standards, regulations, plans, legislations of relevance to the sector
4. Develop mechanisms for management and dissemination of agricultural information
The strategic objective of the sector
• Creating an enabling environment for agricultural development through review of the current legal and policy framework.
• Promoting market and product development by adopting a value chain approach.
• Facilitate increased livestock, fisheries, agricultural productivity and outputs through improved extension, advisory support services and technology application.
• Promote conservation and protection of the environment and natural resources through sustainable land use practices.
• Strengthen access to agricultural and livestock information through ICT-based information management systems.
• Facilitate accessibility of affordable credit, insurance and quality inputs to farmers, fisher folks, pastoralist,
• Strengthen human resources development, including monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and coordination of staff functions within the Department.
• Strengthen crop and livestock pest and disease control management
• Strengthen veterinary public health, quality assurance and control of zoonotic disease
Development challenges, priorities and strategies
Some of the sector development challenges include:
· Food insecurity,
· Low Agricultural production and productivity.
· Inadequate market and market infrastructure for agricultural products.
· Low incomes from agriculture, Fish and livestock products.
· Low fish and livestock production; and High zoonotic diseases leading to deaths,
· Severe effects of climate change including frequent and more severe drought leading to poor sector performance and resource-based conflicts,
· High prevalence of pest and diseases in both crops and livestock,
· Decline in range productivity and health,
· Negative cultural belief, practices and values,
· High post-harvest losses
Strategies to address the challenges include:
· Capacity building and strengthened farmers with robust extension services.
· Promote diversification and technology led farming practices with improved genetics and varieties; Provision of quality and affordable farm inputs and support services including finance.
· Develop market Information system, linkages and access.
· Develop market infrastructure including modern storage facilities at strategic points.
· Promote establishment of processing and value addition hubs.
· Enforce product safety and quality standards.
· Strengthen producer and marketing organizations with an appropriate legal and regulatory framework and providing training and capacity development for management and leadership.
· Develop marketing infrastructure for fisheries and livestock handling.
· Support to development irrigation infrastructure to support crop and fodder production,
· Development of hay stores, livestock feed storage facilities in an effort to building more livestock feed reserves,
· Strengthening resilience to climate change risk faced by farmers, pastoralists and fisher folks, ensure building of climate proofed of infrastructure,
· Strengthen linkages between research extension,
· Strengthening and promoting innovative and new technologies in disease surveillance, diagnosis and controls,
· Promote sustainable rangeland ecosystem management and breed improvement to increase productivity.
Flagship projects performance
Hon. Hussein Ali